Since 2006, Ghetto Youth Focus Foundation (GYFF) has been organizing some of the largest and most important events for the upcoming artists and the people of Kibera. These event includes THE ART ATTACK CONCERT; a monthly concert that gives Kibera artists an opportunities to explore and unleash their artistic potentials. THE ATTACK CONCERT has something for every artist is in Kibera, whether it is music, dance, acting or comedy, here they feel welcome and valued. THE ART ATTACK SHOW has enabled GYFF to positively impact the lives of many of artists by bringing such a show into existence in Kibera. Archimedes once said that if given a lever a place to stand he could lift the world. In this case, THE ART ATTACK CONERT provides a stage to stand for the Kibera artists and a microphone as a lever to pass their artistic remarks to the rest of the world. The Kibera community has proven the unquestionable benefits of the show and the need for our program continue to grow at unprecedented rate.
It is the department that wrote the skit entitled UCHAGUZI BILA FUJO back when GYFF was still at its early stages. The department has shown a tremendous growth in the past few months. Some of the greatest achievements that have been made through this department include:
- In 2008, a GYFF member and named Daddy Evans participated and emerged the winner as the best musician in the kibera music awards; he walked away with a grand prize of kshs. 10,000.
- Daddy Evans recorded a song dubbed BETRAYAL, featuring one of the most talented reggae singers called jojjy.
- In October 2009, a member named Geoffrey Ochieng Oyoo, participated and emerged the winner of TOPCOMIC, a comedy competition TV that was aired on NTV from June to October. Oyoo is a full GYFF member who has flown GYFF’s flag high, by performing in some the biggest in Kenya, such as CHURCHILL LIVE SHOW, TOPCOMIC, KIPAWA SATO, LAUGH FESTIVAL, and even WAPI concerts.
- It is through theatre department that GYFF manage to organize a show dubbed CHEKA NA FINYOO, at ushirika hall on 11th September 2011. The show was graced by some of the Kenya’s top comedians such as AYEIYA POA POA aka AKA, FREDDRICK OMONDI, PROF the KING OF MCHONGOANO and the TOPCOMIC winner GEOFFREY OYOO. The event was facilitated by GYFF mainly to fund raise for a member who was to under go surgery. The event was successfully carried out since it raised funds amounting to kshs 8,000. The department has also come face to face with some limitations that have managed to drag its operations behind. These limitations include:
- •There are no enough venues for the performing artists to practice for their items.
- •The available venues are very expensive to hire.
- •The available venues are too small to hold big events and concerts.
- •Hiring sound systems to organize events is very expensive.
The theatre department is looking forward to maximize its performance in time to come. These successes would be achieved by doing the following:
- Organizing more events to act as a platform where artists from Kibera can showcase their talents. This will assist in putting Kibera talents on map.
- Raise more funds to record songs for musicians.
- The group is also anticipating construct an auditorium.